South African Skeptics

Power balance scam doing the rounds

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
So I overheard some murmurs at a party over the weekend about this "Power balance bracelet" thing that "really works", but before I could chip in the party went another direction, and I let it slide.... how folly of me.. Getting into the office I started hearing similar claims from others all over the place. Couldn't stop getting earfuls of how crazy stupid-fly this bracelet is... So here's a heads-up skeptics: Someone is making a killing selling a bracelet that has a holographic sticker on it and claims to "correct your bodies frequencies" and other such nonsense. They do the classic "I can't push you over if you're wearing the bracelet" trick, known to be a placebo effect since forever....

Linky to the site: http://www.powerbalance.net/
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline mdg

• Skeptical ability: +5/-0
    • The Skeptic Blacksheep
Holy Crap!!! :o

Have you seen how much those magic doodahs are selling for here??

Power Balance S.A.
“Yes, reason has been a part of organized religion, ever since two nudists took dietary advice from a talking snake.”
~ Jon Stewart

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
Woo does generally seem to be a profitable business. What must that bracelet cost to make? couple of rand? Sometimes it's enticing to think about launching a woo-brand of my own.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline bluegray

• Administrator
    • Skeptical ability: +9/-3
    • skeptic.za.org
Cheap ones don't work as well. Placebo studies have proved this ::)
Woo does generally seem to be a profitable business. What must that bracelet cost to make? couple of rand? Sometimes it's enticing to think about launching a woo-brand of my own.
Yup, if I can only get around my conscience ;)
I have terepace and then various pow

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
One could always build a MLM network to sell science books.  >:D

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man

A fool and his money are soon parted.  My Dad told me that just before he lost it all investing in elephant hair mosquito nets...
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx

Offline rwenzori

• Sniper
    • Skeptical ability: +7/-1
  • Merda accidit.

A fool and his money are soon parted.  My Dad told me that just before he lost it all investing in elephant hair mosquito nets...

They say the apple does not fall far from the tree.  ;)
Never draw fire - it irritates everyone around you.

Offline Hermes

• Skeptical ability: +18/-2

Now elephant hair powerbalance bracelets - there's something to go into.
My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain.  My brain is going to rot. - Richard Dawkins

Offline Faerie

• Skeptical ability: +10/-2

Reminds me of my Mother that spent about R16 000 way back then (around 1988 - moer of a lot of money back then) when I was 16 on some woo master that claimed that he could balance my emotions/hormonal/rebellious issues and inadequacies with some weird machine, I was strapped into this gadget weekly for about six weeks until the last session when I stuck bubblegum into some of the knobs and levers. After this episode my mother gave up on having my rebellion "cured" and left me for the Devil.  ;D

She still loves all alternative therapies....  :-\

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man

True. Lost all mine on a gym. What could possibly go wrong?
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx

Offline rwenzori

• Sniper
    • Skeptical ability: +7/-1
  • Merda accidit.
Now elephant hair powerbalance bracelets - there's something to go into.

What about Quantum Elephant Nano-Hair Powerbalance bracelets? We could make a mint! St0nes could join us.
Never draw fire - it irritates everyone around you.

Offline Hermes

• Skeptical ability: +18/-2
Sounds good!
St0nes should be head of research since his dad has already established that elephants don't go for mosquito hairnets.   Quantum elephants might of course behave differently, but elephants generally come across well balanced; perhaps powerbalance bracelets would sell better among giraffes?
My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain.  My brain is going to rot. - Richard Dawkins

Offline Lilli

• Skeptical ability: +3/-0
perhaps your target market should more closely resemble a species that boasts opposable thumbs?

Offline Mutton

• Skeptical ability: +2/-0
Holy Crap!!! :o

Have you seen how much those magic doodahs are selling for here??

Power Balance S.A.

But, as with all this type of crap, if they were cheap, then they wouldn't be as effective, now, would they?
Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell's afraid I'll take over!

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
    • Skeptical ability: +65/-9
  • In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται
    • Me, according to johnno777
We’ve been spammed.

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.