South African Skeptics

The Neverending List of Questions that needs Answering

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
    • Skeptical ability: +64/-9
  • In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται
    • Me, according to johnno777
If you apply a constant force to a lump of antimatter at rest, will it go even slower  ???
I’m going to assume this question is serious because some people have such an idea.  If it isn’t, please indulge me.  To the best of our current understanding, matter and antimatter are indistinguishable by inertial means.  However, there is a school of thought that proposes an ever-so-tiny difference in inertial behaviour between matter and antimatter — so tiny that it cannot be measured by present means.  If true, the proposal would aid in explaining the universe’s (apparent) asymmetry in terms of matter vs. antimatter.  This difference would be especially telling at the very early stages of the Big Bang.

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
    • Skeptical ability: +12/-1
  • Carpe diem
Why is the antimatter resting? 'Tis lazy?
Ei incumbit probatio, qui dicit, non qui negat; cum per rerum naturam factum negantis probatio nulla sit

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
Again I’ll proceed from the perhaps erroneous assumption that this question is at least partway serious.  You must not read “inertia,” “inertial” and so on as referring to “a state of rest.” (According to which frame of reference is this “state of rest” to be judged anyway?)  Rather, read “inertia,” etc. as indicating the resistance to a change in the state of (uniform) motion a ponderable mass offers, as per Newton’s second law.

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Online Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
    • Skeptical ability: +20/-3
  • Three men make a tiger.
Or tired. :P

.. matter and antimatter are indistinguishable by inertial means.
I must admit to being a bit dissapointed to learn that something as exotic as antimatter shares some of the same mundane properties as a house brick or a wonder bra. In a recent movie they kept the stuff in a special tube hovering in mid air, for Pete's sake! So what exactly is so "anti" about it?

Mintaka
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
Afaik (risking a smackdown by Mefiante), you have to keep the stuff suspended mid air by strong magnetic fields or it will annihilate any "normal" matter upon contact. (Or put another way, they destroy each other)
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
When a particle of a given type encounters a corresponding antiparticle, they mutually annihilate and all of their combined mass is converted into energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation (photons) according to Einstein’s famous E = mc² equivalence.  For this reason, antimatter must be kept shielded from all ordinary matter, including air, which means keeping it suspended or circulating in a vacuum.  This can only be achieved via magnetic fields in the case where the antimatter has an electric charge.  The energy release involved is huge: half a milligram of matter brought together with half a milligram of corresponding antimatter will release enough energy to power a 2 kW heater continuously for about 520 days.

'Luthon64

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
What does “Meh.” raised to the 14th power come to?

'Luthon64

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
Mehth-amphetamine.

[spoiler]Yes, I am going to hell.[/spoiler]
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
LOL!  A failed psychostimulant, then.  How apt.  As for your spoiler, I’m right alongside you there — or so I’ve been assured on numerous occasions.

I think I need a Mehdivac.

'Luthon64

Offline Lurkie

• Skeptical ability: +3/-0
What does “Meh.” raised to the 14th power come to? 

Meh to the power of 14 = Canadian.

Offline Brian

• Skeptical ability: +8/-1
  • I think therefor I am, I think
what is the shape of the Universe?
Never let the child in you die!