Closing Time

I just finished “Closing Time” by Joseph Heller, the author of Catch 22. This is the sequel to Catch 22 and follow the lives of some of the characters into old age. While Catch 22 was brilliant, this one had moments of it but to my mind, not in the same class at all. So I was a bit disappointed.
This is the 3rd Joseph Heller that I read (I can’t remember the other one’s name) but that was also not to my liking. Catch 22, however, is one of my favorites, a classic!

what genre does this fall into?
never read any of his stuff.

There is a serious shortfall in your enjoyment of life! You have not lived until you read it. Catch 22 is a fairly old book, plays off in WW2 but is very funny. This is were the phrase Catch 22 comes from. Do yourself a favour, it should be in a library close to you.

Catch 22 is brilliant and a must read. The only other book I have read of him, I think was called David, and was quite fun as well. It tells the story of King David from his very own perspective and starts of with David and God not on talking terms :smiley:

It was ages and ages ago and perhaps I should consider a re-read.

On Tweefo’s review I think I’ll skip Closing Time :stuck_out_tongue:

so what i’m gathering, this book is set in early 1900’s, it has a satirical feel to it.
soooo, what is it about? what is the idea behind the book? why should i read it? what kind of person would like this book?

It is about Yossarian’s experiences in the war. About how some things just does not make sense sometimes. You could call it a satire on life I suppose but it tells it in a very strange way. You will love it.

cool, i will look out for it.

I’ve just read “No laughing matter” by Joseph Heller & Speed Vogel, 1986. It is an account of Heller falling ill with Guillain-Barre syndrome, and his recovery. It was most enjoyable!

“It was love at first sight…”

If you have never read Catch-22, you are in for a lot of fun. I rate it one of the greatest novels ever, even though its structure is a bit chaotic ( not sure if the story is apocryphal, but apparently Heller’s publisher assembled it for him from confused piles of manuscript ). It is absolutely hilarious, but has a number of dark undertones and passages. You can meet Major Major Major who is in his office only when he is out, ex-PFC Wintergreen who really runs the war, the man who doesn’t live in Yossarian’s tent, Milo Minderbinder who contracts with the Axis to use American bombers to bomb their own base to make a few $$$, and hordes of others.

One of the most amazing statements of the human condition.

I’m busy reading Catch 22. Have you ever tried Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. A crazy recounting of his experience of the fire bombing of Dresden.

I’ll try finding it at our library. Its been ages since I read anything I chose myself.