Date: Thursday 21 October 2010
Time: 19h00 for 19h30
Venue: The Mediterranean (Humewood)
Booking essential: Gerrit Penning, [email protected]
Topic of discussion: “Conspiracy Theories: Why the morbid human interest?”

Date: Thursday 20 January 2011
Time: 20h00
Venue: PE People’s Observatory Society’s clubhouse
Activity /Topic: Some stargazing using the classic 8" refractor and a discussion of some cosmological topics.

Thursday 8 March 2012, 19h00
The Mediterranean Restaurant, Humewood
Topic: Is humanity better off in the 21st century than previous centuries?

Please reply to the Gerrit (see OP) if you’d like to join the PE gang tonight. :slight_smile:

Rigil

An invite from the Port Elizabeth “chapter” organizer below - Rigil

The next Skeptics in the Pub in PE will be on Thursday 10 May 2012 (next week).

Time: 19h00
Venue: TBA early next week. It will probably be in Walmer.
Topic: Fact or Crap? Take a guess!

We will not have one specific, set topic for the evening. We will play a game similar to “Science or Fiction” played recently at a Durban Skeptics in the Pub meeting. I will give you a variety of issues (mostly sourced from Snopes.com) and you should guess (or know!) whether the issue is factual, or a fallacy… Examples:
1.Water that has been boiled in a microwave oven (then cooled) is harmful to plants… Fact or crap??
2.Storing batteries in a refrigerator or freezer will improve their performance…??
3.No Nobel Prize is awarded for mathematics because Alfred Nobel’s wife had an affair with a mathematician…??
4.Outdoor temperature can be determined by counting the chirps made by crickets…??
5.Rubber tires protect a car’s inhabitants during lightning strikes…??
Be skeptical. Be very skeptical…
These issues will obviously unlock some discussion, and we will also talk about WHY people have a tendency to just believe anything they receive by email/Facebook, sometimes without question.

I will appreciate an RSVP so I can confirm the number of attendees with the venue host closer to the date.

[email protected]

And the venue:

Hi all

This is to confirm the venue for Thursday’s Skeptics in the Pub PE (10 May 2012):

Bocadillos Restaurant, Walmer (6th Avenue, just around the corner with Main). See:
http://www.portelizabethrestaurants.co.za/bocadillos-contact-details/

Menu:
http://www.lets-eat.co.za/downloads/Bocadillos%20Restaurant%20Menu%20Lunch%20(3).pdf

Time: 19h00.

See you then

Thursday 14 June 2012 at 19h00.

The venue is The Island Pub & Grill, Marine Drive Summerstrand (at Pine Lodge next to the beach).

Evolution: Logical arguments for, and thoughts against.

I’m new to this forum and the community. When do you expect to have another SITP PE? I’ve noticed some activity in other skeptics groups in the bigger cities and have not really been exposed to the PE community. I’m very keen to get involved.

Apologies if this is not the preferred forum for this type of thing. At least I’m safe in the knowledge that I won’t be smote by a vengeful forum god.