South African Skeptics

The PHOTOGRAPHY thread

Rigil Kent · 181 · 38169

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
Jewelbox?
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy

Online Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
    • Skeptical ability: +20/-3
  • Three men make a tiger.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:02:02 pm by Rigil Kent »
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man
Two virtual jellybeans to the first person who can identify this object currently gracing our southern skies in the early evenings. :)
Small Magellanic Cloud?
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1

Ω

The Kidney Nebula?

Edit: Note my tongue firmly in my cheek.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline Tweefo

• Skeptical ability: +10/-0
    • African Sky Planetaruim
Ok, I 've bought the cheap web-cam (no software) to mount on my scope, but what program do I use to get images? I will use AVI Stack 2 to process it after, but to get it? Help Rigil?
If you don't agree with me you are obviously not from this planet.

Online Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
Hi Tweefo. Sorry I'm only replying now ... spent 5 days hiking in that pristine bit of coastal forest between the Storms River mouth and Nature's Valley.

If you still have this problem with the webcam, and its driver installed ok, I suggest just download either Yawcam at http://www.yawcam.com/ or Virtualdub at http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html ... the latter can convert your video to a stream of jpegs which could facilitate processing later.

Rigil

Online Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
Two virtual jellybeans to the first person who can identify this object currently gracing our southern skies in the early evenings. :)
Small Magellanic Cloud?

Brianvds got it right ... it's Omega Centauri, the largest globular cluster associated with the Milky Way. Two virtual jelly beans were duly awarded. ;)

Offline brianvds

• Brian van der Spuy
Brianvds got it right ... it's Omega Centauri, the largest globular cluster associated with the Milky Way. Two virtual jelly beans were duly awarded. ;)

I can virtually taste them. :-)

Offline Tweefo

Hi Tweefo. Sorry I'm only replying now ... spent 5 days hiking in that pristine bit of coastal forest between the Storms River mouth and Nature's Valley.

If you still have this problem with the webcam, and its driver installed ok, I suggest just download either Yawcam at http://www.yawcam.com/ or Virtualdub at http://www.virtualdub.org/download.html ... the latter can convert your video to a stream of jpegs which could facilitate processing later.

Rigil
Thanks, Rigel. Looks like Yawcam can do the job, will try it out tonight. How was the walk?

Offline Tweefo

Ok. What am I doing wrong? The moon with webcam. I've tried without webcam lens, without scope eyepiese, with and without 2X Barlow lens but the best result (this photo)  was with webcam lens on and through 28mm eyepiece. 300 Pictures stacked with AVI.  :P

Offline brianvds

• Brian van der Spuy
I am no expert, but eh picture looks badly overexposed. How long was the exposure?

Online Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
Agree. Either disenable automatic exposure via the software, or use an apperture stop and some filters. But the best would be to get rid of some contrast by focussing on only the lit up part of the moon by boosting the magnification a bit untill the bright moon surface covers or mostly covers the sensor (cmos chip) of the webcam. Since the chip is tiny (maybe equivalent to a 4mm ocular) you should be able to achieve that by removing the camera lens and uv filter assembly and let the image from your telescope's primary mirror/lens fall directly on the chip. That way the webcam needn't try and cope with the contrast difference created by a pitch black background, but instead only have to work in greys.

Also, shooting the moon in daylight may help for the same reason, provided the atmosphere is not too turbulent.

Experimentation is half the fun. 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:37:48 am by Rigil Kent »

Offline brianvds

• Brian van der Spuy
Also, shooting the moon in daylight may help for the same reason, provided the atmosphere is not too turbulent.

At least with binoculars or small telescope, I have found that the very best time to view the moon is at dawn, just before the sun rises. At those times the details become wonderfully crisp and clear. Perhaps the same will be true for photography.

Offline Tweefo

Agree. Either disenable automatic exposure via the software, or use an apperture stop and some filters. But the best would be to get rid of some contrast by focussing on only the lit up part of the moon by boosting the magnification a bit untill the bright moon surface covers or mostly covers the sensor (cmos chip) of the webcam. Since the chip is tiny (maybe equivalent to a 4mm ocular) you should be able to achieve that by removing the camera lens and uv filter assembly and let the image from your telescope's primary mirror/lens fall directly on the chip. That way the webcam needn't try and cope with the contrast difference created by a pitch black background, but instead only have to work in greys.

Experimentation is half the fun. 8)
Thanks. Cloudy here now and probably tonight. I will try again tomorrow night.