South African Skeptics

Zuma's glory

Faerie · 59 · 21627

Offline Faerie

• Skeptical ability: +10/-2
I understand a painting of our revered president in all his naked glory is being displayed at an art gallery here in Jhb. Depicting the man's dangly bits, with two pigs in the background having a snorking good time with each other, the words "a fish rots from the head down" superimposed over a picture of Africa. Huge ruckus on the radio about it. Anybody seen a pic of it yet? I'd suppose the pigs refer to Orwell's Animal Farm. The rest is pretty blatantly obvious as to meaning and reference.

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man
I haven't seen a pic of it, but I understand it's been sold already...
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
    • Skeptical ability: +64/-9
  • In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται
    • Me, according to johnno777
Here’s the part that most offends the picayune minds of the ANC.  The whole furore is ridiculous and illustrates how little our government lackeys really understand about democracy and civil liberties like freedom of expression.  If you’re a public figure, especially a well-known and controversial one, you must expect and learn to live with this sort of thing.  The expectation that no derision should be heaped on you from any quarter is as presumptuous as it is unreasonable… |-O

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Offline Tweefo

• Skeptical ability: +10/-0
    • African Sky Planetaruim

Online BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
♫ whooohooooo hoooooo whohooohoooo! Barbara Streisand! ♫
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline Faerie

R146 000 for a piece of art from a previously unknown artist.... not a bad way to start a career (however shortlived it might be)

Offline brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
I am waiting with bated breath for the court's decision. If they decide against the gallery, I will personally spread those pictures around, everywhere, from Facebook to everyone in my mail address book to message boards I belong to (yes, I made a point of saving them). Then the bunch of idiots will learn that in the age of the internet, attempts at censorship are pointless and in fact just make things worse for you.

For the record, I think it is bad, bad art. But not as bad as censorship. Jeebus H. Merciful Crispy, the more things change the more they stay the same. The frickin' Groot Krokodil would have felt right at home in the New South Africa...

Spear of the nation indeed. Mtondo we sizwe...

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
What seems to have gotten lost amidst all the hot-headed commotion is that if one of art’s functions is to increase awareness of something through being confrontational and stirring up controversy, then the work in question has been singularly and spectacularly successful.  By that yardstick, it would be wrong to label it “bad art.”

“Mtondo we sizwe” LOL!

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Offline CLADOSELACHE

• Skeptical ability: +0/-0
Hi

Sorry I cant resist it !

Umshini wam ! (Repeat as needed)
 ;D

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
    • Skeptical ability: +12/-1
  • Carpe diem
He should just have said the artist had drawn it too small and leave it at that.

Streisand indeed.
Ei incumbit probatio, qui dicit, non qui negat; cum per rerum naturam factum negantis probatio nulla sit

Offline cr1t

• Skeptical ability: +4/-0

I'm thinking the same, and he should be happy the artist seems to have been generous.

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
    • Skeptical ability: +12/-1
  • Carpe diem
omfg It is on wikipedia already...   ;D

ha ha ha

How do you censor that, JZ?? (I also notice it links to the Streisand effect)

The fucking irony
Ei incumbit probatio, qui dicit, non qui negat; cum per rerum naturam factum negantis probatio nulla sit

Offline Faerie

I'm thinking the same, and he should be happy the artist seems to have been generous.

I was too prudent to mention it, but I fully agree, the man should feel flattered....  >:D

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
Quote from: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spear_(painting)">Wikipedia – The Spear (painting)</a>
The ANC Womens’ League has also demanded that the exhibition be halted, and all instances of the image be removed from the internet.

(Emphasis added.)
Good luck with that.

'Luthon64

Offline The Vulcan

• Shipmate
    • Skeptical ability: +3/-0
    • About Vulcans
And another good thing: it's luckily a bit more abstract than the one of the Canadian PM! I wish our country could grow up and see that Zuma isn't a Zeus and the Emperror really has no clothes, come on when are we ever going to stop blaming apartheid and hate be a bunch of haters, temting to say we should grow a pair, but clearly it seems we have môre than enough, a patriachal society like ours getting it's ego bruised, never...
"Live Long And Prosper" - Old Vulcan Greeting