South African Skeptics

Whats the harm

Mogz · 6 · 3760

Offline Mogz

• Skeptical ability: +0/-0
Hey everyone I'm new here. Just thought I'd introduce myself by sharing a great website I've found: http://whatstheharm.net/
A lot of people continue to follow CAM therapy because they believe there is no harm. I think there is and have experienced some of the harm in the form of regular unwanted advice. This website shows exactly how devastating these beliefs can be.

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
Hi Mogz and welcome.

We actually have had people on this forum lose loved-ones due to BS such as that.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
    • Skeptical ability: +64/-9
  • In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται
    • Me, according to johnno777
Hi Mogz

If Alzheimer’s hasn’t got the better of me, that website was referenced in the forum a few times in the past.  If you’re especially interested in quackery, you might also find both Stephen Barrett’s Quackwatch and Ben Goldacre’s Bad Science blog valuable Internet resources.

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Offline cr1t

• Skeptical ability: +4/-0

Offline Lurkie

• Skeptical ability: +3/-0
Hi Mogz,

Please spread that website far and wide. And welcome! Quackwatch is also a good one.

Cheers
Lindsay

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
    • Skeptical ability: +64/-9
  • In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται
    • Me, according to johnno777
New!  Improved!  Kwiksmack Antiquack!  Now with rhyme, reason & rhythm. :D

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.