South African Skeptics

Deserving a facepalm

Tweefo · 126 · 32982

Offline Tweefo

• Skeptical ability: +10/-0
    • African Sky Planetaruim
 (wtf!!)
If you don't agree with me you are obviously not from this planet.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
    • Skeptical ability: +20/-3
  • Three men make a tiger.
Some meditations on "The Mathematics of God."

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/math.html

You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Offline Faerie

• Skeptical ability: +10/-2

Offline Tweefo

So god killed this guy's son because he did not spread spam. Moving into the computer age, I guess.

Online brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
So god killed this guy's son because he did not spread spam. Moving into the computer age, I guess.

If the Bible is any guide, God has killed people for far less. :-)

Offline Tweefo

After my recent FB homeopath fight, I do not have the will to get into another one with this woo-woo person.

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
    • Skeptical ability: +64/-9
  • In solidarity with rwenzori: Κοπρος φανεται
    • Me, according to johnno777
The only sane response to stuff like this is ridicule and derision.  The world is being inundated by woo for two main reasons.  First, it takes much more effort to debunk woo than to construct it because there are no restraints when making up nonsense.  Second, woo merchants outnumber rational people, and the great unwashed are much more susceptible to a glib tongue than to reason.

Extended debate is pointless.  When a brief rebuttal fails (as it usually does), the only sane response is ridicule and derision.  And it will remain thus until the majority learns basic critical thinking, should that ever happen.

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Online brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
Perhaps it is time for a Facebook group titled "Dr. Woo," in which all the woo on FB is thoroughly ridiculed. :-)

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
Not just Facebook.  Having maroons like Peggy Nkonyeni in charge doesn’t help the cause either.

'Luthon64
"Sensitive" people are now carefully examining the entire universe, trying to find something to be "offended" at. It won't stop until such time as the "offenders" learn to stop apologizing, and saying "freck off" instead. — brianvds, The ShoutBox Classics, 02/07/2018.

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man
Not just Facebook.  Having maroons like Peggy Nkonyeni in charge doesn’t help the cause either.

'Luthon64
I take exception to that.  We maroons are an important part of the rainbow nation.
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx

Offline Mefiante

• Defollyant Iconoclast
Okay, okay.  Sorry.  Would you object to cyanotic melon?

'Luthon64

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man
Okay, okay.  Sorry.  Would you object to cyanotic melon?

'Luthon64
Nope--can't stand those blue-arsed monkeys...
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx

Online BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
I take exception to that.  We maroons are an important part of the rainbow nation.

Sure but you are no Hooloovoo.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
    • Skeptical ability: +20/-3
  • Three men make a tiger.
I must say I'm excited to hear that Ms Nkonyeni's is in favour of including philosophy in the school curriculum. With some training in basic critical thinking techniques, our future ministers and ministresses may be less likely to approach phrenologists and graphologists.

And as far as the claims of the face-reflexology goes, at least one of them has been taken seriously.

It's just never black and white with these people. It's almost always a good mix of science and bollocks, milled into a pulp, seasoned with hope, deep fried in greed, and served with fear. No wonder the skeptically meek stands no chance.

Rigil
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.