South African Skeptics

Beyond the Somatic Mutation Theory of Cancer

Offline brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
This doctor has some unusual and original ideas about all manner of things:

https://medium.com/@drjasonfung/beyond-the-somatic-mutation-theory-of-cancer-f71854acd05d

His articles are well worth the reading, whether one agrees or not.

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
I was hoping there was some kind of finding here. I am a bit disappointed but it's interesting to hear someone lament peer-review as much when, physics also relies heavily on it. I think the problem here is that doing lab experiments typically doesn't risk killing millions of patients if you're even slightly wrong.

To me an interesting question is this: Which of the following is preferable:

* You do clinical trials for a decade to decide if a medicine is safe, but while you are doing it countless people die from the lack of your treatment.
* You do a quick study, say "safe enough" and maybe you save millions, maybe you kill millions.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
I was hoping there was some kind of finding here. I am a bit disappointed but it's interesting to hear someone lament peer-review as much when, physics also relies heavily on it. I think the problem here is that doing lab experiments typically doesn't risk killing millions of patients if you're even slightly wrong.

To me an interesting question is this: Which of the following is preferable:

* You do clinical trials for a decade to decide if a medicine is safe, but while you are doing it countless people die from the lack of your treatment.
* You do a quick study, say "safe enough" and maybe you save millions, maybe you kill millions.

And in view of recent events, this hypothetical has suddenly become of urgent practical importance...