South African Skeptics

Astrophotos

Tweefo · 75 · 11491

Offline brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
Great stuff! Now is the perfect time of year for sky viewing - pity you can't do it without freezing solid though. :-)

Offline Tweefo

• Skeptical ability: +10/-0
    • African Sky Planetaruim
Great stuff! Now is the perfect time of year for sky viewing - pity you can't do it without freezing solid though. :-)
Long Johns, tracksuit pants and a pair of jeans. Long sleeve vest, T-shirt, 3 jackets. Wool lined hat with ear flaps and one of the jackets got a hoody that goes over the hat. Gloves and 2 pairs of socks in hiking boots. You sit out there for 4 to 5 hours, so it still gets cold.
If you don't agree with me you are obviously not from this planet.

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
But it is warming up a bit lately. At least around these joburg parts.

Tweefo is astronomy geek Jesus: He froze for our grins.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline brianvds

• Brian van der Spuy
But it is warming up a bit lately. At least around these joburg parts.

We haven't had much in the wy of winter yet, though I'm told there's a cold front on its way. After the summer we had, I was hoping for positively arctic weather, but alas, global warming seems to have kicked in now.

Tweefo is astronomy geek Jesus: He froze for our grins.

He looks slightly older than his early thirties; I must assume he has managed to avoid the wrath of established interests thus far.

Offline Tweefo

Sitting through the cold the last few nights. M16, M17 and the Cat's Paw nebulas. The last one did not come out well and need more data I think. Actually, all of them will do well with more. I will work on that tonight if the wind is not too strong.

Offline Tweefo

The Eagle nebula is a bit clearer. I took more photos at a higher ISO and added them to the other day's pics.

Offline Tweefo

My best Trifid nebula so far. 50 Exposures of 120 seconds each at ISO 800. The object is now high in the early evening. All my previous attempts were through a thicker part of the atmosphere.

Offline Tweefo

Trifid again but here I combined two evenings data.

Offline brianvds

• Brian van der Spuy

Offline Tweefo

Two very bad pictures of M27 or the Dumbbell nebula. Last night, 39 photos of 120 seconds stacked in an App called Nebulosity. A few tweaks in Photoshop to no avail. Take me out the back now before I do more damage.

Offline Tweefo

This image of M42 took me from 12:30 to 3 am on Wednesday night to do the imaging. I took 50 pics but only used 17 in the end, so this is about 38 minutes worth of data.

Offline brianvds

• Brian van der Spuy

Offline Tweefo

NGC 253 or the Sculptor galaxy. Also called the Silver Dollar galaxy. Far too much noise. This astrophotography comes with a very steep learning curve. (wtf!!)

Offline Tweefo

The Tarantula nebula. This is almost 3 hours of data taken over two nights from my backyard. According to the Bortle light-pollution scale, Middelburg rates at 5-6. It came out rather colourless. When I took pictures from a dark site in the Freestate, I got lovely green tones, and that was with only 40 minutes of data.  Looks like I need another 3 hours to add to this.

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
NGC 253 or the Sculptor galaxy. Also called the Silver Dollar galaxy. Far too much noise. This astrophotography comes with a very steep learning curve. (wtf!!)

Nothing short of astounding really... that we can "directly" observe such immensity.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool