Recommended viewing

benguela · 20 · 18645

Offline benguela

• Skeptical ability: +3/-0
  • An infinitesimal subset of the observable universe
    • undercurrent
perhaps a seprate thread?

Storm

this has shot to my number 1 video list and will probably remain there for a long time.
"the Clebsch cubic of Fig.4 which is a quantum foam with jets in a 6 dimensional Planck space with jets" -- J. A. de Wet, "Icosahedral Symmetry in the MSSM", International Mathematical Forum, 2010

Offline bluegray

• Administrator
    • Skeptical ability: +9/-3
    • skeptic.za.org
Yup, well worth a view, thanks!
I have terepace and then various pow

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
    • Skeptical ability: +12/-1
  • Carpe diem
That was quite brilliant. Thank you very much.
Ei incumbit probatio, qui dicit, non qui negat; cum per rerum naturam factum negantis probatio nulla sit

Offline Fluxosaurus

• Skeptical ability: +0/-0
Very nice - met a couple of Storms - never had the balls to give it to them like that though, but a good way to being inspired - thanks.

Offline Brian

• Skeptical ability: +8/-1
  • I think therefor I am, I think
Maybe you've seen it but here's an interesting list of atheists:
http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Main_Page
Never let the child in you die!

Offline threeholerhauler

Excellent video.  Thanks for posting.
A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Offline Michael Meadon

• Skeptical ability: +1/-0
    • Ionian Enchantment
Have you guys seen one of Minchin's shows? I have his "Ready For This?" - which is just fantastic. Anyone in the JHB area can, erm, "borrow" it at the next SITP...

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
  • Carpe diem
*bump*

Storm by Tim Minchin - a classic...

(just because I knew it was on the site but no search could reveal it until I used the "google entire site" function and now I'll be able to  :D)
Ei incumbit probatio, qui dicit, non qui negat; cum per rerum naturam factum negantis probatio nulla sit

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
I've been waiting for the fully animated version for yonks now but they keep updating their site with "any day now", which never comes....

http://www.stormmovie.net
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
  • Carpe diem
an animated movie!  very cool.

btw I just noticed this is actually a stickied topic? Talk about being in front of me all the time.

Offline benguela

• An infinitesimal subset of the observable universe
    • undercurrent
Ray Comfort on the atheist experience  ;D

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13612645
"the Clebsch cubic of Fig.4 which is a quantum foam with jets in a 6 dimensional Planck space with jets" -- J. A. de Wet, "Icosahedral Symmetry in the MSSM", International Mathematical Forum, 2010

Offline cyghost

• Skeptically yours
  • Carpe diem
I watched the first half an hour of that.

It is clear that Ray really really believes. Strange and alien as that may seem to me, he really does. I would love to understand the basis of that belief better but I think I may just have to accept that people like him and believers in general, simply have a different approach.

I do hear the argument from ignorance from him again and again - "the beautiful flowers and butterflies" - is it really just that? Believers are incapable of looking at the universe and *not* see a creator?

Kudus to Matt and Russel for an interesting yet futile conversation.

ETA: watching the rest ustream.tv is not blocked at work. The fools! mwhahahhaaahaaa /fades
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:17:29 am by cyghost »

Offline Wandapec

• Skeptical ability: +4/-0
  • 100% Proud Atheist/Skeptic
Ray Comfort on the atheist experience  ;D

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13612645
I watched it yesterday - he is such a plonker!
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
I listened to about 1/2 way and it was clear Ray was just going to repeat his junk until the end of time.

He uses the diversionary pattern of argumentation: Opponent raises a point that buries you, you change the subject.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline DNA

• Skeptical ability: +1/-0