South African Skeptics

Recommended viewing

benguela · 20 · 18646

Offline BoogieMonster

• NP complete
    • Skeptical ability: +19/-1
Whohoo! Even though they may delay, storm, unlike the end of the world, did eventually come! Oh happy day!

I have to say the graphics are better than I expected... pseudo 3D and all that.
"Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground, Silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive, so misguided, is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here" - Tool

Offline beLIEf

• Skeptical ability: +1/-0
    • Atheist in Africa
Tim Minchin is awesome also he did an earlier live DVD called So Live there is an interesting correlation between his fame and application of eyeliner...

A must watch film is "The Invention of Lying" 2009 it stars real life atheist Ricky Gervais, as he lives in a world where no-one has as yet ever lied (so subsequently have never believed in God) - he accidentally tells a lie then realises he can use it to his own personal gain which eventually leads to him inventing "the man in the sky" after trying to make his mother feel better about dying. My description doesn't do it justice -

The Invention of Lying (2009) OFFICIAL TRAILER
"It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men." – Carl Sagan

Offline Rigil Kent

• Armed liberal
    • Skeptical ability: +20/-3
  • Three men make a tiger.
Agora is a nice enough historical drama about how the philosopher Hypatia gets screwed over by religiots. Released in 2009, it may be old news by now, but still recommendable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/

Rigil
You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.

Offline brianvds

• Skeptical ability: +15/-0
    • Brian van der Spuy
Agora is a nice enough historical drama about how the philosopher Hypatia gets screwed over by religiots. Released in 2009, it may be old news by now, but still recommendable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186830/

Rigil

I liked the bit where she predates Kepler by a thousand years. :-)

Offline st0nes

• Skeptical ability: +10/-1
    • Grumpy Old Man
Black Mirror
Making a Murderer
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.--Groucho Marx