Welcome to all new members!

Yeah, granted, I was assuming simply by looking at the username… :confused:

I did go have a peek at the profile though… ;D

And a fair assumption at that, as the keel of the Argo Navis presumably don’t type so good.

Rigil

You know, this is one of the great things about interacting with clever people, they’re forever saying things that needs to be Googled before understanding sets in… Love it.

Well, lookee here ;D in one of my daily trawls around the Net giggling at quantum quackery and creationism, I was gobsmacked to find a LOCAL skeptics forum! it didn’t occur to me that there were enough of us in the country to keep something like this afloat, hehe.

I haven’t had a chance to lurk around much yet, just wanted to say ‘high’ from a science-lovin’, vociferously but cheerfully skeptical atheistic chick who sometimes feels like a voice in the wilderness in PE. Seriously, it might well be the motherlode of Christ-buddies and navel-gazing Namastes down here. Bung a bunch of factories on a windy little coastal promontory, and the pollution and damp sea air will rot the faculties!

Look forward to chatting to y’all :smiley:

Hi, Lou-gee. I think there is quite an active coven in Porra Lizbiff. I know they have SITP on occasion.

Yeah, we get that all the time. :wink:

it didn't occur to me that there were enough of us in the country to keep something like this afloat, hehe.

Just barely, It gets a bit quiet around here sometimes. We haven’t had a solid fundy discover this place in ages, they always inject new life into the conversation. (and a couple of head-to-desk moments)

... sometimes feels like a voice in the wilderness in PE.

We all do, just substitute for different town/city name, it’s all the same. I live in “metropolitian” Joburg and you won’t believe the amount of tip toeing I need to do around religious issues. I seem work with generally groovy people who seem to understand, but you still get the magic bracelet here, and homeopathy freak there trying to convince you of the woo de jour.

Wheee! Another Chicky! Bring on the new feminisim!!! It pleases me endlessly when women see the light!

Welcome Lou-gee! Enjoy browsing and stick around for a bit.

Hi Lou-gee. Hope that you’ll enjoy these forums, and that PE shan’t take too much wind out of your sails! :-p

Rigil

Well, another member from Du Baai: how cosmopolitan. Welcome, Lou-gee. :wink:

Hello Lou-gee

Welcome

It’s very hard to argue with people if they have the same idea’s, Maybe from time to time somebody should play Devils Advocate (or are we all ready his advocate?).

Isn’t that what Telly’s for?

You argue with the Telly ??? Does it argue back? :stuck_out_tongue:

Only when you offer him cookies…

Not the telly, just a Telly.

Hi Everyone ! Glad to be part of this forum, looking forward to join in conversations that had been under the rug for far too long.

Hi there and welcome.

Are you ipmlying you’re in the athiest closet?

(Nothing wrong with that, been there…)

Yes I am a VERY PROUD Atheist,since I was 18. but sort of in the “closet”, as I can only tell some people. The fact that I’m Afrikaans and grew up “NG-Kerk” Christian does not make it easier, especially i.t.o family and a LOT of friends. I would like to know if there are other Atheists who has admitted to all their conservative families and friends that they have abandoned this ridiculous religion BS, and how has it been recieved ? Wish I could just shout it out on FB once and for all and be free to be myself. And screw the rest. But then family is still family…this seems to be a tough choice. ???

Welcome Motte. Yes, I came out and one or two family members don’t talk to me anymore but most are ok. We just avoid religious topics.

Howdy Motte, and welcome!

I had to cut off/eliminate almost 70% of my extended family when I “came out”. No big loss, one comes to realise who really loves and cares about you in instances like this. There is a thread about this somewheres, I think Boogie started it. I’ll go have a looky if I can find it.

Welcome Motte. I can relate NG kerk 'n all. Coming out needn’t be too traumatic (but accept and expect some drama) it depends how you inform family and friends. They may indeed have had a sneaking suspicion for some time. But if you communicate your views in a calm and rational manner without rancor, arrogance or aggression it could help smooth the shock. Many would see you as a lost sheep that will someday return to the fold and treat you with sickening paternalism or sympathy Read one of our member’s book (a former missionary) : The Courage to Doubt